Skip to main content

Sickies

Austin got the flu, then I got the flu. Loverly.

I don't need to get into that but to soothe that cough it gave us, we've been indulging a little with our favorite hot chocolate!


Come on, on days like this in Idaho you can't help but grab the electric blanket, slippers, a good movie, and Starbucks!!


Austin's been curling up on the couch (with his favorites, Bose headphones) trying to keep up with his studies after all that flu business. 


I was going to show you a photo of my fingers after printmaking for hours, but it grossed even me out haha! So this.... is what your arm looks like after the printing part of the process! That's after it's been scrubbed with craploads of soap and brush soap. It becomes a tattoo on me for days on end. I had those when I went to get a TB shot and the Nurse just looked at me funny... (What can I say, I'm an emo kid as emo as can be... I bleed black. Get over it. )


Those needed to be covered for clinicals though..... I started cliniclas guys!! I didn't want to scare the elderly. There wasn't much I could do concerning my hands so I stuffed them in my pockets a lot if I didn't have gloves or.... many a fluids on my hands already. Joking, but not really. Austin was sweet and took me at 5:30am for my 6am-2pm shift. I was excited to finally see what it was like and try my new skills. I got a tag :)


Clinicals were something else. I absolutely could see myself in that environment. I do have to admit it was a complete shock considering 40 seconds in, my CNA couldn't even take me on because there was some urgent stuff on and I went headfirst into the CNA world with some heart-wrenching situations in all about 5 minutes. I surprised myself that I could handle it, and could act quick and be brave. I was surprised at how attached I already got to people, and how much I enjoyed the person I shadowed along with the work. 

It was a long day, and of course Austin and I were better from the previous week's sicknesses. Austin made an awesome Asian Tri-tip grill with broccoli salad, and I made a GF pizza from brown rice! Hit our Recipe tab to find them.

Things have been going back to normal!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When Family Visits

This past weekend, we got to spend time with my lovely parents! Lance (my step-dad) and my mom came out to Rexburg to party po-dunk style with us haha! First we took them to R-Mountain which is actually a crater volcano :) Maybe you recognize it from the 4th of July adventures of Braustin? We had finals (so Austin and I look like train wrecks only getting 6 hours of sleep in the last three days...  haha!) Lance and mom were doing wonderful though, and were more energetic than us for sure!  Then we made some taffy, but what we didn't know was our candy thermometer we bought was broken in the first place. So it never rose past 150ºF despite it looking like it burned. Yeah. It ended up looking like an organ. And it also ate our black plastic spoon because it rose so high in temperature. It was molten lava! Belonged on R-Mountain that's for sure! We had Austin run back to the grocery store who sold us the defective thermometer, and ...

Call Me a SAHM in Training

Stay at Home Mom (SAHM)  Besides a medical leave and two maternity leaves, I’ve always been a full-time plus on call nurse mom. I am now almost two months into being a SAHM and I would have to still say I’m training! A lot of you have told me routine is so important, and I’ve been trying my darndest to do that. We do library time or errands in the morning, naptime and quiet time after lunch, and art and outdoor/indoor active  play until dad comes home! Some days it blows up in my face, much like what we’d call a s-tshow at work, haha! Except these are my monkeys and my circus! But mostly because I am learning and loving it, too. I struggle with anxiety and depression. Ever since I was little. My post-partum depression with R was so difficult. I am so lucky to have an incredible husband and health team that honestly kept me alive during that time. Luckily, I was treated prior to giving birth to A too because a) it was known I get PPD and b) it’s better and easier to tr...

Joyeux Noël

My Mom and Lance came out! Austin and I took it as an opportunity to cook the heck out of our kitchen for them! We got a white Christmas which was amazing. For two reasons: Mom and Lance are from California and so it was magical for them, and it could be our last white Christmas for a while! (A lot of schools are in the South.)  My mom's side of the family is very German so we celebrate Christmas Eve. We used to have minestrone soup, but everyone hated it. So... we turned to our California roots and make tortilla soup instead. As a kid, it always made sense that Christmas happened at night. All the pictures you saw of baby Jesus were at night with the star. My mom said when she was little, she just thought German kids were special haha! I made my mom and Lance some hardcase books, a snowglobe, and got them a ceramic ornament. Santa also surprised them in the morning with a stocking ;) My grandma Hofmann used to make these egg ornaments (she passed away in 19...