Skip to main content

Update from Gillette!

Holy crap, it's been a while! Life happened! Babies happened! Jobs and moves happened! Where do I start? 

Biggest news, we had Baby R! He's kind of approaching the not-so-baby stage of becoming a toddler here. He's 15 months... whaaat? You can read the super-belated story .:here:.


Oh my goodness he looks like his Daddy! I could write for hours and days on how fun this little man has made our lives. But because I've been terrible at journal-keeping, I'll just have to start from here on out. 



I left these wonderful people at Sheridan Memorial Hospital because Austin found an incredible job opportunity especially for a new lawyer, here in Gillette. We tried the whole commute thing and miserably failed. Ultimately, it came down to family and I know God blessed me with this job in Gillette doing my dream job still! I'm working very hard on learning the ropes and am making a "Surgical Bible." 



Before I left, I also found out (the hard way after an ICU visit for throat closure) that I have food allergies like none other! Milk, Wheat, Soy, Peanuts, and especially Eggs... along with Juniper (the thing that sent me overboard and into the ICU) and Kentucky Blue Grass. I spent my first Mother's Day thinking I was gonna die. Pfft. But now we know!

This has made us explore different ways/styles of cooking and has upped our cooking skills! We recently discovered the amazingness of vegetarian and vegan cookbooks. Especially these two! If you want to up your veggie game and switch up the ol' meat and potatoes, go to the people who know it best! Just buy the darned books already too, everything we make is from them! And we have been going to traditional roots, creating Pho straight from beef bones, roasting spices, you name it. 



I've also been sewing lots, it keeps me sane and artsy! Recently, I made scrub caps for fellow OR nurses at Ivinson Memorial, and I have the overly-ambitious quest to finish our Scandinavian quilt bedspread this year... or next year.... sometime, haha! 



There's lots of holes and gaps here in our story, but I figure I'll fill them in as I commit to writing again. We are happy, healthy (finally!), and growing in more ways than one with our careers and parenting. 

-xoxo 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When Family Visits

This past weekend, we got to spend time with my lovely parents! Lance (my step-dad) and my mom came out to Rexburg to party po-dunk style with us haha! First we took them to R-Mountain which is actually a crater volcano :) Maybe you recognize it from the 4th of July adventures of Braustin? We had finals (so Austin and I look like train wrecks only getting 6 hours of sleep in the last three days...  haha!) Lance and mom were doing wonderful though, and were more energetic than us for sure!  Then we made some taffy, but what we didn't know was our candy thermometer we bought was broken in the first place. So it never rose past 150ºF despite it looking like it burned. Yeah. It ended up looking like an organ. And it also ate our black plastic spoon because it rose so high in temperature. It was molten lava! Belonged on R-Mountain that's for sure! We had Austin run back to the grocery store who sold us the defective thermometer, and ...

Call Me a SAHM in Training

Stay at Home Mom (SAHM)  Besides a medical leave and two maternity leaves, I’ve always been a full-time plus on call nurse mom. I am now almost two months into being a SAHM and I would have to still say I’m training! A lot of you have told me routine is so important, and I’ve been trying my darndest to do that. We do library time or errands in the morning, naptime and quiet time after lunch, and art and outdoor/indoor active  play until dad comes home! Some days it blows up in my face, much like what we’d call a s-tshow at work, haha! Except these are my monkeys and my circus! But mostly because I am learning and loving it, too. I struggle with anxiety and depression. Ever since I was little. My post-partum depression with R was so difficult. I am so lucky to have an incredible husband and health team that honestly kept me alive during that time. Luckily, I was treated prior to giving birth to A too because a) it was known I get PPD and b) it’s better and easier to tr...

Joyeux Noël

My Mom and Lance came out! Austin and I took it as an opportunity to cook the heck out of our kitchen for them! We got a white Christmas which was amazing. For two reasons: Mom and Lance are from California and so it was magical for them, and it could be our last white Christmas for a while! (A lot of schools are in the South.)  My mom's side of the family is very German so we celebrate Christmas Eve. We used to have minestrone soup, but everyone hated it. So... we turned to our California roots and make tortilla soup instead. As a kid, it always made sense that Christmas happened at night. All the pictures you saw of baby Jesus were at night with the star. My mom said when she was little, she just thought German kids were special haha! I made my mom and Lance some hardcase books, a snowglobe, and got them a ceramic ornament. Santa also surprised them in the morning with a stocking ;) My grandma Hofmann used to make these egg ornaments (she passed away in 19...